Talented, published writer with three years of experience in journalism seeking employment with a company where I can utilize my writing and editing skills.
Boston College, Morrissey College of Arts and Sciences, Chestnut Hill, MA May 2015
Bachelor of Arts in Communications, Minor in Sociology
WNYW-Fox 5 New York – New York, NY June 2012 – August 2014
Digital Content Production Intern (June 2012 – August 2012, June 2014 – August 2014)
- Produced news stories, original commentary pieces, photo galleries and viral content for MyFoxNY.com.
- Managed social media accounts in the morning, increasing online engagement with over 800,000 followers.
- Edited news segments from Good Day New York and Fox 5 News using WorldNow and Avid.
- Participated in production meetings with editors and directors to pitch story ideas for reporters.
- Sponsored by The Emma L. Bowen Foundation for Minority Interests in Media.
The Gavel – Chestnut Hill, MA April 2013 – May 2015
Senior Editor (May 2014 – May 2015)
Associate Sports Editor (January 2014 – May 2014)
Staff Writer (April 2013 – January 2014)
- Composed, produced and edited content for Boston College’s online progressive news source, serving 9,000 undergraduate students.
- Assisted sports editor with article pitches weekly for online and monthly print editions.
- Engaged in social media efforts by handling the official Twitter account for Boston College football games.
- Founded series titled “Taking Back the Marathon,” which documented runners training for the 2014 Boston Marathon.
- Reported original stories through tips, research and interviewing subjects around a range of topics.
isportsweb.com – New York, NY June 2013 – January 2014
New York Giants Correspondent
- Covered the New York Giants for the 2013 NFL regular season.
- Generated multiple, original stories weekly about the Giants’ injuries, transactions and player analysis.
- Gained skills in search-engine optimization and WordPress.
President of the Organization of Latin American Affairs – Chestnut Hill, MA September 2014 – May 2015
- Delegated an executive board and cabinet of 20 BC students interested in educating the Boston College community about Latin America. Communicated with administration about the Latino experience in an effort to collaborate on events and initiatives.
Community Research Program Participant – Chestnut Hill, MA September 2013 – May 2014
- Conducted a quantitative research project on the relationship between athletics and academics for Latino high school students. Gained skills in leadership, research and public policy through the program’s rigorous first-semester seminar.
Dialogues on Race Co-Facilitator – Chestnut Hill, MA September 2013 – May 2014
- Administered weekly presentations about race to a group of eight Boston College students. Engaged in conversations about race at Boston College, in the media and in institutions.
SKILLS: MS Office, WorldNow, SEO, HTML (Basic), PhotoShop (Basic), Anti-Defamation League trained
LANGUAGE: English (fluent), Spanish (conversational)
INTERESTS: Writing, Social Justice, Journalism, Research, Technology, Baseball, Bowling, Basketball, Football
Portfolio available at franciscobernard.contently.com